Friday, July 20, 2007

School Commencing

Recap:
Wednesday - Orientation Day 1
The first day at the college was pretty cool. I found out that the campus I'll be attending has over 800 students, and that a ton of them are streamed into what everyone out here calls "WACA." Now you ask, what's WACA? Good question, WACA is Worship and Creative Arts. Now, imagine the term WACA being said with an Australian accent... ya, its funny. As for the rest of the students, we're a combo of many streams, but the second largest group happens to be Pastoral. We started of the day right with Praise and Worship in the Chapel, then had some crazy laughs at comments the staff made towards things in Australia and cross cultures around the world experience in Australia. A lot of people here are talking about "Culture Shock", but I honestly have no idea what anyone is talking about. Aussi's and Canucks have a very similar life style, fairly laid back, like to joke around, and live happy I guess. It seems that Europeans and Americans are getting home sick quicker than others, and Africans are just happy to be here (no matter how cold they think it is here.)

Thursday - Orientation Day 2
Again starting the day right with Praise and Worship. A time of celebration for the new intake, and to share and fellowship with those from second year and third year. We got our particulars all figured out with finalizing our streams, and getting our student ID cards ready. What's really cool for attendance here is that our ID cards are scanners, and when we got to a class, we scan in, it tells us the class we're going to, and everything. More people to meet again, you can't say hello to 800 students in one day... or even one week for that matter. So for the next while I'll be meeting people.

Friday (Today) - First Day of Classes
Today was Awesome!
My first class of every Friday Morning is World Religions, and we are going to study other worldly cultures and religions and in some cases cults as well. Our teacher is really cool, his name is Sam, he looks 25, has 4 kids, and rocks the class in Challenges, and makes us learn by helping and teaching others with his teachings. My second class of Fridays (and last class) is Church History, and its my favorite class so far. I love it. The teacher is incredibly smart, has tons of knowledge on the Bible, and on the time line of everything we're learning, she's given us today to learn about the Apostle Paul and his track record so to speak.

Ok so now that the recap from school is out of the way...

Hi everyone, I'm excited about this year, and about where my life is going. I've learned so much in this time frame here at College, and its only been 3 days. Hillsong really likes to share and press into our lives for being significant, either as a student or not, we all have significance in our roles in life, in church, in work, and anywhere we go. They really know how to encourage people here, and its good to have it.

I can already see that my character will be tested, and see that I'll be shaped and changed as time moves forward here at Hillsong. They fully intend to stretch students in many areas of life, and to continually grow in a positive direction, no matter how hard the storms of life may come. I love their passion they share in Character Building, and I hope and pray that I can grow effectively in my Godly Character.

My house-mates are growing too, they've been asking questions about things they're experiencing during times of chapel and learning how the church here is growing the way it has been. I'm thankful that a place like Southland has given me some basics and great training in practical ministries and faith building, because I'm already ahead of some of my house-mates by experiencing things like healing through prayers, and working against fears, and understanding the Holy Spirit.

I'm now pressed for time, I have to get my bank details all figured out for my student pack, and I'll be serving in Church for Power House tonight.

Catch everyone later, I'll keep you posted.

Oh and thanks for all the emails people have been sending me, I will eventually get back to you ASAP, but you may have to wait till Saturday till I can respond, thanks.

Love you all.

No comments: